Toggle menu

How to Buy a Class 3 NFA ITEM From a Class 3 Dealer

What is a Class 3 Dealer?

A person or business that has a Type 01 Federal Firearms License that has a class 3 tax stamp that allows them to posses and transfer Title II NFA firearms.

What are NFA firearms?

The National Firearms Act enacted on June 26, 1934 in general, imposes a statutory excise tax on the manufacture and transfer of certain firearms and mandates the registration of those firearms. The Act was passed shortly after the repeal of Prohibition. The NFA is also referred to as Title II of the Federal firearms laws. The Tax amount is usually $200 depending on the type firearm. The Most common NFA Items are: Silencers, Short Barrel Rifles (SBR) and Machine Guns.

How can I transfer or purchase a NFA item?

Register the item to a trust


  1. No signature is required from chief law-enforcement officer
  2. You only need to create the trust once. The same trust can be used for all future NFA items such as short barreled rifles machine-guns or any other weapons.
  3. Fingerprint cards are required
  4. Anyone listed as a trustee in the trust can be in possession of the suppressor
  5. A revocable trust can be changed at any time without notifying the ATF
Register the item to a corporation


  1. No signature is required from chief law-enforcement officer
  2. Fingerprint cards are required
  3. Any officer of the corporation can be in possession of the suppressor
  4. If you already have a corporation, this can be easier than a trust since you will avoid the initial trust setup
Register the item in your own name

You can avoid initial work required to setup a trust or corporation. You have to remember that only you can be in possession of the NFA Item. This Requires signature from chief law-enforcement officer where you live and fingerprint cards.

Here at DEGuns we want to simplify the process as much as possible and we will explain how the transfer process works. NFA transfers can take anywhere from 2-9 month and you have to remember the process starts when your paperwork is sent the the NFA Branch for approval. It is very important to have everything needed. We do not give legal advice or sell trusts